Municipal Association of Nepal (MuAN), established in 1994 is the umbrella organisation representing entire municipalities of Nepal, which is registered under the National Directive Act 1961 AD. MuAN has successfully established its credibility as a national voice for Municipalities accomplishing a number of important landmarks in policy reform, in areas such as decentralisation, governance, poverty, gender and environmental issues. Since its inception, MuAN has been working with most of the ministries, bilateral and multilateral agencies, as well as INGOs in the areas of local governance through advocacy and lobbying, information sharing and networking both at national and international level, providing technical and advisory support to municipalities.
The constitution has conferred the power on local levels to make laws relating to their exclusive rights. Formulating a law is a very challenging task in itself. Compliance with constitution and the norms of rule of law in formulating local laws will help enhance people’s trust and ownership of the constitution. However, some municipalities have been forming these laws and some have not yet succeed due to varies reasons. There are many technical flaws in the existing laws too. Therefore, MuAN consider it its responsibilities to review the laws they have developed to refine them or support to those which have not been able to develop such important laws due to inadequate capacity for formulating laws and regulations.
To support deliberative law-making process for selected municipalities by reviewing the laws being made and to refine them and make model laws.
Following sample laws will be collected and reviewed and refined to make them model laws for municipalities.
- FM Operation Act
- Local Service Management Act
- Local Community Forest and wild animal
- Irrigation management in Local Government Act
Qualification of the consultant
- Post-graduate Degree in Law and Local Governance or similar qualifications. ( If individual )
- Good knowledge in urban local governance and federal issues.
- Having experience in formulating laws and policies.
- Strong research skills and in-depth understanding of analytical methods applicable to policy work
- Good writing skills and fluency in Nepali.
- Computer skills:
- Good computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, etc.)
- Has highly developed communication skills, including ability to draft/edit texts and to articulate ideas in clear, concise style to a variety of audiences, as well as facilitation skills;
- Has positive attitude, honest, trustworthy and demonstrate sound work ethics;
- Has the ability to quickly establish professional rapport with related stakeholders;
- Has the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
For detail TOR please visit www.muannepal.org.np or click here
Interested (individual / firm) consultants are required to submit application letter and CV and other necessary documents with past experience of carrying out task of similar nature no later than 27th Dec 2021 at [email protected]
Only qualified candidate will be contacted for further process.