Post Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Consultant (Part Time)
Division: Monitoring and Evaluation
Duty Station: MuAN Secretariat, Kathmandu, Nepal
Period: July, 2023 – December, 2023
MuAN in partnership with The Asia Foundation (TAF) Nepal, under the DFAT-TAF Partnership on Sub-national Governance Program has initiated a project titled “Strengthening Municipal Governance in Nepal –Phase II.” The project operates at federal, provincial, and local level and the project activities will benefit all municipalities directly and indirectly. The overall goal of the project is to strengthen intergovernmental coordination and public finance management for the implementation of federalism and thereby help improve municipal governance in federal Nepal.
Under this background, the project aims to support to Clarify roles and functions of IGR mechanism and fiscal federalism through providing intergovernmental platforms and sharing of good enough practices and strengthening the relationship and coordination among and between the three tiers of government.
The main objective of the project is to strengthen intergovernmental coordination between the three spheres of government to improve the coordination between the intergovernmental coordination mechanisms as mentioned in IGR act such as
National Coordination Committees, Provincial Coordination Committee and other related mechanisms and support in their operationalization. The project will also strengthen the local level committees, federal and provincial institutions for improved public financial management and fiscal federalism.
The key objectives of the project are as follows:
- To promote the best practices of local governments in the areas of intergovernmental coordination, economic development and inclusion,
- To facilitate the process of strengthening municipal committees and with clarifying their roles and functions for promoting inclusive practices and economic development at municipal level.
- To facilitate platforms for promoting intergovernmental interactions between tiers of government on bringing clarity on roles and functions of IGR mechanism and fiscal federalism
Expected Project Results:
Following are the results that the project will be contributing through the program implementation.
- Increased clarity on roles and functions across three tiers of governments
- SNGs systems and procedures strengthened in an annual budget cycle process
- Strengthened diversity, equity, and inclusion at the institutional governance level
- Increased gender-responsive budgeting and planning for services that target women, marginalized constituencies, and people with disability
- Representatives and officials (people with power) begin to share power with those who have relatively less power at the partner municipality level
Scope of Works:
The MEL Consultant will be stationed at MuAN Central Office and will be accountable to Executive Director of MuAN and will also work in close coordination with Project Coordinator and TAF for the effective implementation of the program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify key output and outcome indicators for Strengthening Municipal Governance in Nepal programme based on existing M&E frameworks used in MuAN programming, external best practices and DFAT-TAF requirements.
- Identify and develop practical management processes, related to monitoring, evaluation and learning, including clear schedules, responsibilities and interdependencies.
- Work in close coordination with Project Coordinator and other projects staffs under the program. Liaise with stakeholders to identify and define requirements, scope and objectives. Analyze risks and opportunities in relation to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning perspective.
- Participate in joint meeting between TAF and MuAN officials as required and requested.
- Prepare M&E, as required.
- Assist MuAN team to capture the learning, achievements and best practices of program
- Develop and maintain effective communication and relationships with TAF and other key stakeholders.
- Other tasks officially as assigned and endorsed by MuAN.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of M&E system design and implementation
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject such as social science, political science, organizational development, M&E or similar
- Ability to work and write in both English and Nepali language
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
Applying Procedure: Please submit the application letter and CV in English no later than 25th June 2023 at [email protected]
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further process.